Party Wall Surveyors

The Act recognises two main types of party wall, Type A and Type B Party Walls.

Party wall type A:
A “party wall” is a wall that stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners. Such a wall is part of one building, or separates two (or more) buildings, or consists of a “party fence wall”.
A “party fence wall” is not part of a building, and stands astride the boundary line between lands of different owners and is used to separate those lands.

Party wall type B
A Type B “party wall” is a wall that stands wholly on one owner’s land, but is used by two (or more) owners to separate their buildings. An example would be where one person has built the wall in the first place, and another has built their building up against it without constructing their own wall. Only the part of the wall that does the separating is “party” – sections on either side or above are not “party”.

Walls that are not Party Walls:
These may include boundary walls (a fence wall/garden wall built wholly on one owner’s land) and external walls (the wall of a building built up to but not astride the boundary).

We understand this can be a bit complicated at times to navigate so we have put together a short list of Party Wall Surveyors that we have used in the past and highly recommend:

projects completed
years in operation
happy customers
Close Menu